Thursday, 14 May 2009

A final message from TBSITW

Elaine won many battles in her fight against failing health, but I am very sorry to have to tell you that she has finally lost the war.

You have no idea how much the contact with all of you, through your blogs, meant to her. She often spoke of the things you wrote or the photos you posted, and she enjoyed sharing a bit of her own life with you. Particularly as she became less active, this electronic circle of friends was a very important part of her life. Thank you all for keeping in contact with her - rest assured, I always passed on your good wishes.

Elaine passed away peacefully in hospital yesterday, 13th May 2009, aged only 67.

By the way, my name is Enid, and to me SHE was "The Best Sister In The World".

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Enid,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I loved reading Elaine's blog because she had a wonderful sense of humor and found pleasure in simple joys (clean laundry, cheese scones). I shared her blog with family and friends, so she had quite the following in Arizona. In fact, both my friend and I turn 40 this year and we'd discussed traveling to Scotland to find Elaine and share one of those cheese scones with her.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Pat
www.smocablog.org

Littleacornman said...

Please accept my sincere condolences at this difficult time.Elaine was a true blogging star and I'll miss her posts greatly.May she RIP.

Woodland Folk said...

Dearest Enid

I am so sorry to learn about Elaine - her blog has been a joy and I loved to read her news in my worktime lunch hour. I shall miss her words greatly.

You've been wonderful and she appreciated you very much - that did come over so in her writings.

Take care of yourself now,

Love

Grumpy Old Woman (Christine)

Sage said...

Enid, and the rest of the family I am so sorry to hear your news. Elaine was like a friend to me, always supportive and cheerful no matter the outcome. I will miss her dreadfully and the world seems a little dimmer today without her presence.

Please pass on my commiserations to the rest of the family and if you could just post one more time to say when the funeral is I will make sure I have some quiet time to remember her.

Love

Lis

The Girl said...

I am so sorry!!!
I hardly knew her, but I feel your loss.
All my thoughts and prayers are with you and her family.

dickiebo said...

That is the worst news that I have had in a very long time. I am so deeply saddened to lose such a good pal.
As a mark of my respect and fondness for Elaine, I shall close down my blog for the day.
I shall truly miss you, Elaine. God bless you.

A. said...

I am so very sorry to hear this, and although I know you only through Elaine, I would like to offer you and the family my deepest sympathy. Words can't properly express how I feel.

AFT said...

Enid, thank you for taking the time to let everyone know.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Elaine, you will be sorely missed.

Steven

Elderly lady in training said...

Enid - I am so sorry for your loss, but thank you for letting us know so soon. Elaine was an inspiration. I am a bit younger than Elaine so I used to think of her as a mentor in my training to be an elderly woman. As I get older I hope I can be as independent, cheerful and, above all, as appreciative of her helpers as Elaine was. My first name, which sadly Elaine never knew, is also Elaine.

Marcheline said...

Dear Enid,

Thank you so very much for being there for Elaine, for caring for her and for knowing how much we cared about her. For taking the time to let us know.

I will miss Elaine so much, she was unique and smart and sassy (and I never really got to know her in person - I can only imagine how much brighter her colors were face to face!).

Please pass along my condolences to her son and the rest of Elaine's family. I'm just a New York girl who loves Scotland, and came to know and love Elaine through that connection.

- Marcheline

Mrshappyanna said...

Dear Enid, BAITW (Best Aunt (in law) in the World), or mabye I should call you DAIL (Dreaded Aunt in Law) . Thank you for posting such a lovely message as the final farewell on this blog.
I and all her many readers will miss her and the witty and interesting updates, as well as the recipies Elaine posted.

See you soon, all our love, A&D xxx

missbliss said...

I've sat here looking at this blank box for the past 15 minutes not knowing what to say. I expect you felt the same, so thank you for telling us.

I will truly miss Elaine and her perspective on life. She's the only internet blogger I've told my real name and I'm so glad I did.

Anonymous said...

Enid, please accept my condolences. I have been lurking on Elaine's blog for quite some time now and felt that she was a friend. I would have loved to have met her in person and sat and had tea.

Please let Elaine's children know that I'm thinking of them at this time.

Sarah, Phoenix, AZ, USA

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear! I am so sad to hear of Elaine's passing. Every morning I began the day on her blog and it seemed we had much in common, including age and health issues. She was always so positive in spite of everything, but I know she hated the thought of losing her independence.

Thanks for the cyber memories, Elaine...
Helen in Fort Collins, CO USA

AnneDroid said...

I'm really sorry to hear this news and pray for you and all who loved her as you grieve.

Dee said...

I read Elaine's blog almost every day, never commented. She was just a little younger than my Mum and reminded me of her with her pragmatic and humorous outlook on life.
It came across so strongly that she had a close and supportive family - I hope the love you shared will be a source of support to you all at this sad time.

I will miss her.

smudge said...

I've had this window open for ages and just can't think what to write. I came to blogging at a similar time to Elaine through the infamous Dr Crippen and have followed and enjoyed her writing ever since. Though I only knew her through her blog, she was an inspirational and very special lady who will be much missed.

My thoughts and prayers to you, Enid, and the rest of your family as you mourn your loss.

Liza x

Lizzie said...

I have so enjoyed sharing Elaine's views of her life. I can't believe she is no longer with us. She was indeed an inspiration, especially to me as I approach retirement. I aspire to have at least a smidgeon of her spunky approach to life, and enjoyment of it.
Condolences to you and your family Enid.

Anonymous said...

Oh Enid I am so sorry for your loss. I'm really going to miss Elaine. Her sense of humor and all her kind comments. She was a great lady!

Annette said...

I am so sorry.
My deepest sympathy to you all.
xxx

SeaSpray said...

Dear Enid...I am so sorry and did not realize Elaine was so ill. I'm shocked.

I apologize that I wasn't around much. My mom passed away last month and while I have blogged..I've slacked off considerably.

I am so very sorry and I will miss her.

I also enjoyed her messages and insightful and humorous thoughts.

I would've loved to have a cup of tea with her and have some other delicious goody with it.

Make God comfort you all at this time. I am so sorry for your loss of dear sweet Elaine..