Well, as informed by letter on Saturday, I was collected just after 9.30 by ambulance to take me to the day hospital which is part of the District General Hospital.
I confess to mixed feelings, part of me thinks that this is another step down the slippery road to decrepitude and another part is very pleased that some attention is being paid to my falls. The ambulance (or hospital bus really) collects about 8 of us from one area of the town and others collect more from more widespread parts.
The ward looks like a ward but there are several different areas
serving different purposes. We all got settled in on our chairs in groups and tea or coffee and a biscuit was offered round. The staff/patient ratio would be the envy of any hospital ward with three sister/charge nurses, 4 or so staff nurses, I lost count of the number of nursing auxiliaries, never mind physio, occupational and speech therapists.
There was a good atmosphere and the staff were solicitous. The new arrivals all had a good assessment by the staff nurses and the doctor including observations and blood tests as required. This time I had a junior doctor doctor take blood and he made an excellent job of it.
We all had a menu to choose lunch and the quality of food was pretty good. The split pea and ham soup wasn't as good as that of TBSITW, but I would not be ashamed to offer it as my own, the egg mayonnaise and salad was fine, though I shall give the potato croquettes a miss from now on.
The ambulances arrived back at 3.45 and off we came home.
Thank goodness for better weather, if only for one day.
BTW - With the laptop now pretty well set up, I have one major outstanding problem: I have 2 different email addresses, but can't remember to log in to either.......
Tuesday, 3 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sounds like a great day out , Elaine If this is decrepitude I don't think I'll mind it so much !
A weather report from this corner of the UK:
We were lucky, this morning the snow had gone, but the wind was strong and bitter. In fact it felt colder than in the snow yesterday.
Part way through the afternoon, there was a line of bright light low in the sky, with dark clouds still overhead. This line of light spread slowly towards here, until by 4.50pm the sky was almost completely clear with only a few pink fluffy clouds, and there was a deep red sun half way over the horizon. This sight was quite spectacular, and I thought I would share it with you!
Just to clarify, is the day hospital something you will have to attend every week from now on, or is it just for a couple of visits? It sounds like a great service (even if the potato croquettes are a bit dodgy!)
Hope you're having a lovely day :-)
To Barbara, the only small downside is the feeling that you are not in control of a part of your life.
To Jellyhead. See above - I have no idea as yet!
To TBSITW - you are certainly waxing lyrical - sounds beautiful.
Post a Comment