I finished "The Mind's Eye" by Hakan Nesser last night. I have really enjoyed all his books so far. The principal protagonist is Chief Inspector Van Veeteren, and the feel of Sweden and the Swedes comes through loud and clear. The book is a real page-turner and I could not put it down until the end.
By the way, it is unfortunate that Blogger does not allow for the little circle over the first "a" of Hakan. (sorry, I do not know what it is called, but no doubt someone will enlighten me.)
What I am trying to say is that the author's first name is pronounced H(aw)k(ah)n with the second "a" a short one if that makes sense.
I had intended taking up something more serious after that, but the latest Christopher Brookmyre arrived, and that absolutely cannot wait. I shall post about it after I have finished it.
It is quite amazing that I even found time for getting two washes done, dried and put away. It is always such a load off my mind to get that done soon after my bed has been changed for me, because then I can forget about it for a week or two.
The house manager here caught me once before going down to the laundry room first thing and said "What's the matter, did you wet the bed?". I could not think of a quick retort, but I was all set for the question again this morning and I was going to pretend embarrassment at being found out and saying that that was why I was taking all the bedding down to be washed. Sadly she made no comment. Chiz, chiz as Adrien Molesworth would say.
She also says things like "Did you run out of petrol?" when I had parked the car across two bays. On that occasion I pointed out that it was only for a few minutes while I popped in to the flat to collect something.
I am sure you will understand that I have a very high opinion of her, and enjoy her sense of humour.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Hmmmm .... I haven't heard of Hakan Nesser, but will look for his books next time I go to the library (on your recommendation!)
Your house manager sounds like she has quite a dry wit. Funny how the meaning of words is all in the tone - when I read what the lady had said to you, I wondered if she'd made you fume or made you laugh - thankfully the latter!
Eeek, a new Brookmyre! Have been so busy reading the Gabaldon books I haven't yet read his last one (Tale Etched...)I simpy must spend more time reading ;-)
Hello Elaine-don't know what the å is called but I do know how to obtain it- also French accents! I go into "Microsoft Office " Click "Insert" then "Symbol "Scroll to find what I want then "Copy " and "Paste " into the Blog script Hey Presto ! A bit laborious but if you really want to be PC there you go !
To daugher: Gabaldon??????
To Barbara:
Yes, I did know about symbols in MS Word, but didn't know if blogger supported them; I know they don't support ampersand, so I assumed they would not. I am probably too lazy to find out!
For your å you need to hold down ALT while typing 134. It's the most reliable way I find of producing readable characters and frequently used ones you get to know them fairly rapidly eg é is ALT130. I type it without thinking now! As you say, sometimes Word works and sometimes not. For a list of everything you could possibly want, including many I never knew existed, try this. Alternatively you can find the Character Map through Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Character map, but that's a bit tedious.
Many thanks A. - I was amused to know that a with a circle on top is called a ring!
Elaine What have you started ? Been knee deep in Character Maps and Alt this, that and the other and got nowhere ! Why dont you stick to Dickens or Shakespeare ?
Gabaldon as in Diana Gabaldon author of Outlander series of Historical Romance,
Also we have a chart at work with popular Alt characters for unusual names to be entered on to the Registered pages.
Could email it to you on Thursday, if you like?
Post a Comment