Monday, 11 August 2008

re: Botheration!

I always keep receipts. (Probably!)

I remember printing off my receipt from Comet online, but could I find it? No!

So, I took the bread maker back to Comet this morning and they couldn't have been better. The Customer Services girl checked on-line and found a record of my purchase.

She then took me to look at the only other one of this make which they had on stock and it was on display.

No stirrer on this one!

Perhaps somebody else had the same problem as me and they replaced the stirrer from the showroom.

I got the offer of another brand, but declined saying that I would prefer to have the purchase price refunded and go away and think about it.

I rather think that a bread maker is not really worth the trouble for one, especially as I don't necessarily eat bread every day.

So, I moved the microwave over to where the bread maker had been and the kitchen looks so much bigger already.

Almost time to set off for bridge......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your sad breadmaker saga. (Sorry too about the latest fall.) However teh breadmaker demise really could be a blessing in disguise - more space and a little bit of enjoyable exercise? Maybe try hand making a really small quantity? I know kneading a time consuming and slightly hard work but it can also be fun! I usually do 500g of flour, and can just about manage 1Kg, but starting with a small amount - say 250g or even less - would be possible.

Of course you may well say - what a cheek - who does she think she is etc making such a suggestion - but that's the nice thing about being an anonymous and ignorant blog friend!

I look forward to seeing how you deal with this impertinent idea, and I am sympathetic - really.

Elaine said...

Bless you, elderly lady in training. At this time, I just want a complete break from breadmaking, but may well return to it in the future. I never seemed to get it right with the breadmaker anyway...

Anonymous said...

Those breadmakers are very bulky, it's true, though I confess I loved the smell of baking bread. And you can guess, by the past tense, that we have got rid of ours!

Elaine said...

To a. How nice to hear from you again - it seems like a while.

Anonymous said...

I've just come across this link to a site describing a way of making bread withuot any kneading at all. It looks quite tempting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

I have just inherited an old Kenwood Chef. I used it with some success for mixing and kneading my last loaf. The machine does take up an awful lot of worksurface though so I'm not sure how long my enthusiasm will last.

Anyway, happy New Year - I look forward to reading more of your entertaining and quietly reassuring blog posts. Somehow the awful things that happen in world terms seem to matter less when life carries on as normal where you live!