Thursday, 16 October 2008

A Cook-a thon

After I came home from visiting TBSITW I decided to start preparing the vegetables for a shin of beef, so I peeled and cut into small cubes 3 potatoes and 1 carrot, then placed them in a jug under cold water. The quantities are not exact and depend on what you have in the fridge or larder.

Yesterday I washed and cut into small pieces some very small celery and 2 leeks. I was going to add two onions but in the end felt that, with all the leeks I would use only one large one, peeled and diced.

I put all the vegetables in the bottom of a soup pot and boiled water to which I added two Kallo organic beef bouillon cubes. I then added enough of this stock mix plus some extra boiled water just to cover the vegetables.

On top of all this I placed the shin of beef which I had bought at a Farmers Market and frozen prior to defrosting it over the night before.

I then brought the whole thing to the boil and turned the hob down to 2 (the setting at which I cook vegetables), but turned it down to 1 to simmer away very gently for over 3 hours.

After I turned the hob off I left the pan to stand there while the hob was still hot.

Meanwhile I peeled, cored and sliced 8 cooking apples given to me by TBSITW and placed them in a heavy pan I added some sugar and a wine glass of water, brought it to a gentle boil and left it for about 20 minutes until the apples were falling.

Later on I rescued from the fridge T****’s Finest Streaky Pancetta a good week prior to its use by date and grilled all of it, leaving it to drain on kitchen paper before crushing it and freezing it for use in potato salad.

After all that I sat down to read Private Eye.

Today I have posted the shin recipe on my recipe blog.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done with the cook-a-thon.

PS IT'S use by date(sic)? Oh Elaine........

Barbara Blundell said...

Elaine,you are making me feel hungry. I'm supposed to be a vegetarian but wouldn't mind a little lapse for some of that delicious sounding shin beef.

Elaine said...

Ooops, TBSITW.

Now corrected. Can only think that I was pretty tired when I wrote it.

That's my excuse anyway!

Sage said...

I love using shin beef cooked slowly it has all the flavour you could desire.. another recipe to 'borrow' methinks

Anonymous said...

Im 100% veggie and although I can appreciate that some meat dishes smell nice, Im never tempted to waver.. but would gladly cook the shin for TBHITU (the best hubby in the universe) - actually, Ive just made him some chicken soup from the carcass of last weeks roast chicken. I just hope he feels like eating it at some point this evening :-(

The nice news is that I put a very small chopped leak into his soup that was growing in our garden this morning!!!!!!!!!!

Marcheline said...

I so wish we could sit down for a cuppa and share a homemade dinner, E. I think we would have a blast!

- M