Saturday, 4 October 2008

Elder Son Visit

Yesterday morning it was once again bright and sunny but cold. As I looked out of my window the trees opposite were still green, no autumn colours yet, but I have found one leaf on my windscreen so it can’t be long.

TBSITW sent me an email to say that if I sent her my file of Christmas address labels she could print them that morning and bring them round later. I don’t know what it is but my printer makes a rotten job of the alignment and leaves parts of the addresses sticking out over the top of the label or over the bottom of the label and yet the same file prints on her printer. What is particularly annoying is that the labels are HP inkjet labels and my printer is (yes, you’ve guessed it) an HP Deskjet. Aaargh!

Later in the day, elder son called to take me out to lunch and, before we left, he has downloaded many folders of recent photographs. This means that (if I ask TBSITW very nicely) she may print out the photograph I have been asking him for, namely the studio one of him and daughter-in-law.

As elder son arrived so did the mail and I received a wonderful surprise. After I developed epilepsy following a stroke I had to surrender my driving licence, which I did voluntarily. When I had a year free of seizures, I applied to have my licence renewed; obviously the DVLA had to confirm with my GP practice that I had indeed been free of seizures for a year and they then issued me with a three year licence. This was due to expire on November this year, so I recently sent off an application to renew my licence, expecting it to take ages to be approved, but here it was. This was wonderful and such a relief (though I don’t know why I expected there to be difficulties – perhaps a lingering fear of red tape).

We had a lovely lunch; I had baked potato with brie which came with a side salad and humus.

When we got back, there were the labels which TBSITW had printed out - now there's fast service.

Shortly after this, elder son had to set off back home to see the painter who is decorating their front room. It was really good to see him.

I then joined the ladies for a cup of tea and a biscuit while waiting to pay the milk bill and then returned home to make my evening meal.

Btw. As I was sitting eating my evening meal, I looked out of the window and saw that the flowers that I thought were gentians had opened out and were obviously lavender, but quite a different variety from the one that I already have.

Another thing that arrived in yesterday’s post was a promo from the garage that did the deal on my Motability car telling me of all the wonderful new cars they can offer me for next year. The thing is that I love my Vauxhall and that has now been taken over by Chevrolet. I don’t care much for the look of that brand and I may be tempted to have a look in the near by big city. When I bought my current car, the garage was in the town where I live, but then they moved to another town near by. The journey there is no easier than the journey to big city, so I could be tempted. On the other hand I probably shall not bother (inertia rules)

2 comments:

Barbara Blundell said...

What a lovely day of good things !

Anonymous said...

'Inertia Rules'!
I may very well adopt this as my lifestyle slogan. Thanks, Elaine.