Friday, 27 March 2009

A Blast From The Past

I am reading "The Demon of Dakar" by Kjell Eriksson.Yes, yes, another roman policier, this time a Swedish one.

Suddenly I came across a character called Schonell - a goodie, you will be glad to know.This brought back back so many memories.

Does anyone out there remember Schonell's Essential Spelling List?

Throughout my schooldays I had to take home this book and remember the spellings of so many words, of increasing difficulty as I grew older.Never thought to hear the name again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think so. Was it red? I have an abiding memory of a red book containing seemingly endless lists, becoming more and more difficult.

Elaine said...

Oh, yes, A. you are absolutely correct.

TBSITW said...

I'd forgotten the name. Were the words not in groups of three rows and two or three columns, with five bigger words underneath each group?

Elaine said...

To TBSITW, what I remember is that the groups weere smaller when the words were shorter (for younger pupils) and got larger later on. The book must have been designed to last for years of learning. Must have helped the spelling of generations of pupils.

Of course, it willl have been abolished under Nu Labour, now learning to twitter (don't ask) is seen as more important than learning to spell.

Or add.

Or know any history.

A. said...

Like a spammer, I'm hiding this comment in an older post! The reason is I've been looking through your book and reading posts. At the moment I'm reading a book called "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", by Stieg Larsson and (again) translated from the Swedish. It's not really a true police novel because the detective work is being done by a journalist, but I'm finding it very enjoyable. You may like to try it. Of course I haven't finished it yet, so I may be being a bit previous, but it's really quite engaging so far.