Monday, 30 March 2009

New Desk

What new desk?

I don't do waiting well, so first, after I found I could read only about 5 pages, I moved laptop and all the accessories on top of the OT trolley (if only OT knew all the uses to which I put their trolley!).

I was then able to work on a new jigsaw. This concentrates the mind. I finished all the outside of it and started to sort the remaining pieces.

Then I read for a little before resuming pacing the floor.

At last the phone rang. The guy was right outside......

So he brought everything in and started to fit it all together. It became rapidly obvious that it wouldn't fit. The man said that I had not taken account of the width of the skirting boards....

It then turned out that it was a 1600mm wide desk.

But I ordered a 1400mm desk, I protested loudly.

Went to the filing cabinet and removed the order form - it said 1600mm!!!!!!

I distinctly remember ordering 1400mm and the salesman said 1600mm. He then went and measured the desk in the showroom and it was, indeed, 1400mm.

Thus he was allegedly ordering a 1400mm desk.

Stupidly I didn't read the order form too closely as it does indeed say 1600.

The desk top has to be returned anyway as it is quite badly flawed and apparently all the rest - drawers, legs, etc will still fit the 1400 desk top.

I phoned the shop and was told to order over the Internet. I did this with the speed of light and phoned them back. I have paid for the 1400 desk by credit card and they said that I have to go in to the shop to get a refund on my credit card.
The steam was coming out of my ears at this point, so I pointed out that I would not be going to {big city} for another 2 months, that I am disabled, can not use public transport and do not have a car.

After a lot of thought, he decided that they could issue a cheque in full refund.

Small result.

After 5 years of using my grandson's cast off computer desk with pull out -wobbly - keyboard shelf on which I had to perch the laptop, it is so nice to have the laptop properly on a desk.

Even if it does stick out a good foot into the room from the window.

I have not moved anything other than the laptop and the modem as well as Palm charger and mobile phone charger through, and will not do so until this is all sorted out properly.

Sadly missed Bridge this afternoon.

After the fitter left I had to make a choice between a large stiff drink or joining my friends at the Scrabble table. With a little gentle encouragement from TBSITW, I chose the Scrabble.

I had some biccies left from when best brother visited, so took them through as a thank you.

2 comments:

TBSITW said...

I enjoyed joining you for that drink later on in the day.
I continue to be amazed and impressed at how much you are able to do (physically) again, considering you were admitted to hospital only a few weeks ago. The day hospital stays seem to have worked wonders. I expect that getting "Scoot" has also done wonders for your morale.
Keep it up girl!

Daughter said...

I too was seriously impressed at ow nimble you've become and really enjoyed our lunch. Physio & friends are definitely working wonders methinks.
Your youngest Grandson is extremely chuffed with your computer. The addition of a powerfuld graphics card & power supply unit have enabled him to play games on it too! I'm sure it was the biggest factor in making it his "best birthday ever" Although TBSITW's clever delivery of helium balloon was a major contributor too :-)