Wednesday, 4 March 2009

Reminiscences

Some days at the Day Hospital there are gaps, occasionally long ones, when you have no appointments This is how I have managed to do so much reading.

Yesterday I had planned to populate the new handheld with address data.

However.

On arrival I was served with tea and biscuit.

Before I had even finished the tea, the doctor came and asked me to go and see her. She carried my cup of tea, bless her. She was very pleased to see how much improved I was on the previous week, and admitted that she had been quite worried about me. We had a chat and she examined my chest, saying that it was clear and told me that I would be having a repeat x-ray in 3 weeks.

No sooner had I sat down and put in about 3 names and addresses when it was the turn of the Occupational Therapist. 4 of us went along to the OT room for Reminiscence Therapy. Now, I was always an intellectual snob and could never see myself taking part in such a thing.

She produced a box of black and white photographs, about 9 ins x 5 and produced them one at a time. The lady opposite me was handed each one first, then it was passed round and reached me last. (Just as well it was in this order as it gave the others a chance!)

There were some I didn't know (such as Sylvia Peters - a very early announcer on British TV), but most I recognised. What was particularly good was that, after a photograph had been identified, memories were triggered. I thought the Coronation was in 1952, but that was the year King George 6th died and Princess Elizabeth became Queen. Many had seen the Coronation on television, but I remembered being taken with the school to the cinema to see two films "A Queen is Crowned" and "The Ascent of Everest".

A photograph of Marylin Monroe provoked memories of the Kennedies, and Chappaquiddick and so on as well as her 2 marriages - to Joe Di Maggio and Arthur Miller. It also led on to another photograph of Maria Callas. It all interrelated. The time just flew past.

And then it was lunchtime.

I had barely sat down after lunch to do some more data entry when the Physiotherapist arrived to do some more work with me.

A little more work then Sister came to discuss the visit I had had that morning with the Doctor.

And then it was home.......

I had bought a protective case for my last handheld, but it did not fit my new one. I was reluctant to shell out for another one, but found an elegant substitute.

When TBSITW and I were on holiday in Switzerland she bought me a very pretty soft spectacle case , white with little eidelweiss all over.

It holds my new handheld perfectly.

Thank you TBSITW.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminiscence is great fun, I think! I remember in Ireland being lined up with sundry other relatives in front of my aunt's television set to watch the coronation. She had bought the set specially, even though reception in Ireland was hit and miss to say the least. All I could see was a fuzzy grey screen.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an entertaining and productive day. I have to say that not only the doctor was worried about you last week, and I'm glad that you seem to have made a good recovery.
I'm so glad your "spectacle" case has come in handy. I still have a small red toilet bag with edelweiss on it from the same era, still in daily use.

Anonymous said...

How lovely to hear what you have been up to!

I've just had some smoke alarms fitted by (sadly) non hunky firemen. Makes me remember a hen night I organised in Brighton a few years ago.. hahahah!

Ps Douglas much better xoxox

Barbara Blundell said...

Hello Elaine,
Glad all is going well ! What wonderful care at the day Hospital
I remember Sylvia Peters and Mary Malcolm and McDonald Hobley and Muffin the Mule ! Also I remember taking a group of children to watch the Coronation on TV at a neighbouring school.It was a day to remember !