
Yesterday was a day that mixed happiness and sadness. The happy part was that at lunchtime I went to visit a good friend living about half an hour away, whom I had not seen this year so far. We met about 9 years ago when I was working as a "temp" in the buying department of a high tech Japanese company. We got on well together at work and when I left at a time when many staff were being made redundant she grabbed me and asked for my telephone number. So we kept in touch ever since, often going out for lunch or dinner.
She laid on a lunch of cauliflower florets, diced ham and peppers in a cheese sauce with a side salad followed by strawberries with a strawberry mousse. We even managed to sit outside in the sunshine (wonderful after all the rain) and catch up with all that had been happening.
I then got home just in time for a raspberry and cream tea laid on by some of the residents, one of whom had gone to pick the raspberries specially. It was delicious and would have been even better had I not turned rather quickly and lost my balance so that the raspberries (AND cream) fell to the carpet. Someone kindly cleared up my mess and gave me a fresh serving after making sure that I was sitting down.....
The sad part was in the evening when I went to a do laid on by the couple who are leaving. They invited only the people who are true friends. The wine flowed freely and lots of nibbles were passed round. We all had a very good time, but I am so sad that they are leaving even although they have bought a house near by, and there is currently a large hole in my heart where they belong.
6 comments:
People seem to drift apart so easily, which makes staying in touch with the ones one has an affinity with all the more rewarding.
Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment - I'm touched.
orchidea
You are more than welcome. I love your blog. I find my biggest difficulty is shyness - if that friend had not asked for my phone number as I was leaving, I would never have plucked up the courage to ask for hers.
I'm glad she asked you. You make me smile... I'm shy too, although I prefer to call it "reserved", which probably makes me sound arrogant! ;)
Glad you are alright from falling and raspberry tea sounds wonderful. how does one make that from fresh raspberries?
Good friends are a blessing. :)
Seaspray
Um. I think I asked for that one. What we had was raspberries and cream followed by tea and biscuits!
Ohh, that sounds wonderful! What a combination. Can you please send some across the pond?
Thank you very much! ;)
Post a Comment