Saturday, 22 September 2007

A visit, and another Recipe

Yesterday Mr and Mrs B came for tea and biccies, plus a grand blether; Mrs B is very interested in genealogy and came armed with a couple of booklets, which I look forward to reading.

We tend to exchange books and this time I have introduced Mrs B to Conn Iggulden (the Emperor series); I am currently reading the first of the following series which leads to Genghis Khan.

They left me with a cheese loaf and a pain au chocolat from the French market. Scrummy! After they left, I joined the ladies having afternoon tea in the lounge, but the holiday relief milkman did not appear. So, I have made a start of clearing some of the obvious stuff from my filing cabinet and printing off new file labels, with a whole bagful going to the refuse room.

Usually I give you lots of recipes, but this week I have been going through an “I can’t be bothered” phase, and haven’t even got around to taking food out of the freezer to reheat. Part of this is that I intended making a macaroni cheese as I currently have a lot of milk left. I know it is really easy, but something just reaches into the lazy part of me and says “I can’t be bothered.”

I really might make it today, especially if I get going in the morning.

My recipe for macaroni cheese comes in many varieties, but nowadays I don’t cook my famous one (not since I had gallstones and a gall bladder removed). The basic one consists of a mugful of macaroni, cooked in lightly salted water until al dente, (if you add a few drops of oil to the water the macaroni separates more easily), drained and placed in a casserole dish, with a good pint of cheese sauce poured over it and then all mixed together.

The cheese sauce is just a basic white sauce made usually with the roux method, using 2 oz butter, 2 oz flour, half a teaspoon Dijon mustard and a good pint of milk, with grated cheddar to taste added after it is ready and off the heat. However I do know someone who makes it thickened with cornflour.

After, grate some cheese over the top. It is then cooked in the oven at about 180 for about 40 minutes, or less if just cooked.

The super duper one has the addition of an onion, diced and sautéed in a little butter until tender, then drained and added to the macaroni (before the sauce is added)
It also sometimes has some lean bacon grilled, chopped and added to the macaroni with the onions, and also added before the cheese sauce.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm about to make myself a quick macaroni cheese having left the kids with C and M overnight. Probably not going to bake it. But my favourite, when cooking for others, is to add cubetti di pancetta after frying it separately and removing from the melted fat.

Elaine said...

Sounds great to me - but does improve with even only a short time inthe oven to allow the flavours to amalganate.

SeaSpray said...

MMMMMgood Elaine! You're a good cooker you are! :)

H