Tuesday, 18 November 2008

Catching up.

I am conscious that I haven’t posted for a day or two.

So, a quick catch up.

On Sunday after Church I did one washing (the dark wash), got it dried and put away by about 1.50pm. So I treated myself to a glass of sherry (as you do).

I also finished reading “Bad Science” by Ben Goldacre. This is an excellent book which debunks so much of the so called cures offered to the gullible. There are so many charlatans around peddling such things as colonic irrigation, not to forget these “nutritionists”.

It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that this book should be widely circulated. In particular, it should be mandatory reading for journalists and politicians.

Yesterday afternoon I played bridge with my usual partner. She received some gentle advice from our leader.

That was sufficient for her to start crying. Later our leader said quietly to me that she thought I was a saint to put up with her behaviour.

I really don’t know how long I can carry on coping. It takes its toll on me and I end up losing concentration and playing badly. If I make a mistake, she rounds on me in a very aggressive manner.

I really don’t feel like going tonight, particularly as I have been awake since 4am with the pain in my feet, up the front of my legs and my hands. However, shoulder on.

Brighter news is that the vegetable box arrived and contained: 2 cooking apples, some salad leaves (which are either green mustard leaf or mizuna -I can’t tell which I have, they look rather like spinach and I am sure they will make a good soup), a Savoy, carrots, onions, 3 leeks and 2 beautiful cooking apples. The fruit bag held 3 apples, 2 oranges, 2 pears and a kiwi fruit.

TBSITW tells me that the local farm shop has now opened; they were delayed as it took so long to get the potatoes in as the ground was so wet.

4 comments:

Barbara Blundell said...

Hello Elaine,
Wondered where you were ! Is there not a sort of Paul Jones in the Bridge World so you could have a bit of respite ?
The veg. box sounds good. Hope the pains have subsided and you get a better night's sleep

Marcheline said...

E -

I'm very glad to hear you got a Savoy! It's always good to have a place to swing dance.

- M

Sage said...

I too think you are a Saint to play bridge with your partner... she is taking her frustrations out on you and that is not right or fair.

the veg box sounds wonderful and you will have a lot of good choices.

Anonymous said...

I can't see how you can be enjoying playing with such a partner, so you may well have to 'change partners' - else, is it worth playing if you don't enjoy it? Be firm with her, Elaine. Pretend that you're talking to Dickiebo!!