Saturday, 22 November 2008

I have had a really good day today today.

First of all, having showered, dressed and so on, the "girl" from the paper shop came to collect the money for the papers I have delivered. I was all prepared with the check made out apart from the amount.

The last time she called I asked if I was correct that she was Muslim and she said "yes". I then said I usually like to give a small monetary gift at Christmas to the paper boys but I was most concerned that I might cause offence. It turns out that the tall boy I met once when I was up early for the laundry was not the usual paper boy, he only helps out if the paper boy can't manage. She said that certainly no offence would be taken.

I met the gentleman who owns the shop. He is a perfect, upright gentleman with greying hair who speaks impeccable English. The "girl" it transpires is daughter as I had surmised, a lovely woman with a beautiful complexion. The boy I had met once is her youngest son, the other two being in their twenties.

They don't usually deliver papers but they do so to our block of flats as many are elderly, so it is a real community spirit that they show. On one occasion one of our fitter ladies went to the shop to pay, only to be told that she should not do so as they were happy to collect the money.

Coinciding with the daughter's visit to collect the money, my Tesco delivery arrived, so it was a brief call.

This afternoon I had a visit from elder son's wife who happened to be in the area. It was so good to see her as it happens so seldom. We had tea and biccies and I gave her a book or two away with more to follow. Yes, elder son, she has the second volume of the Romanitas trilogy.

1 comment:

♥ Braja said...

I'm having a pleasant Monday morning scrolling through your old blogs; I just discovered you through Barbara Blundell's blog...Nice to "meet" you!