Wednesday, 5 November 2008

The Presidential Election

I have tried not to comment on the election before the results were in as I have no right to a vote, but now I feel I can.

This morning I see that the results for the American Presidential election are in and that Barack Obama has been elected with an astounding majority.

I think that this is an excellent result as it has shown that the USA has managed to throw off its prejudice against black people sufficient to cast their vote for a good man.

Many overseas will be glad that another warmongering man has not been elected President, and also that Sarah Palin (who has shown that it is not only blondes who can be dumb) has not been elected Vice President and thus a heartbeat away from being a President whose idea of foreign policy is to say that she can just about see Russia from her front porch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I was appalled at the choice of the republicans for their vp(mind you mr biden is not exactly the most coherent of polititians) she was spitting venom with no clear idea about policies. I personally get a lot of my american politics form a satire(similar to have i got news for you) called the Daily Show, which is very funny and insightful.

Anonymous said...

The one thing I wonder is whether the change everyone is expecting will really happen. When Margaret Thatcher came to Downing Street, an awful lot of people thought it would do a great deal for women, but it really didn't, not in her time.

Anonymous said...

As a citizen of the USA, I must say I couldn't have said it better, Elaine. We are all so thrilled (well, most of us) to know that womens' rights remain safe, which they wouldn't have been with McCain/Palin. What an embarrassment she is!

Note to youngest son: Biden may not seem coherent, but he is brilliant. I do agree that the Daily Show is funny and insightful.

Ta...Helen in Colorado

Elaine said...

Yes, someone suggested that her future now would be as a television game show host.

That seems about right.