Wednesday, 5 November 2008

The Goody Bag

On Monday I went to the bridge club in the afternoon where I was delighted to see my partner back from her holiday. There were only eight of us and so we played as two teams. Our team lost!

I returned to find my vegetable “box” had arrived with potatoes and onions, about 15 beautiful carrots, 3 beetroot, 3 leeks, a celeriac and a lovely purple Savoy.

Additionally was the first of a new initiative, a goody bag. This is a sturdy Hessian bag containing some treats. The treats are notified a fortnight in advance and delivered only if you ask for them. This one contained a large sweet potato, a bag of chestnut mushrooms, 2 sweet peppers – 1 green and 1 yellow, an unwaxed lemon and an avocado.

Unfortunately I was not able to go to the bridge club as I had something of an upset gut (I promise no more details will be forthcoming.)

So today, now I have recovered, is the first cook-in of mushroom soup. (see recipe blog.)

4 comments:

Linda said...

I've always wanted to learn to play bridge, maybe this winter.

Elaine said...

Good luck, Linda. It is fairly easy to get to the first steps, then more complicated to become proficient.

Sage said...

Elaine, what do you do with beetroot in winter, I have only ever had it in salads before now but after seeing river cottage autumn I saw it can be used in many other ways as well and wondered what you are going to do with yours.

Elaine said...

Hi Sage

I often eat it in salads as I love it and can eat a whole one at a sitting.

Otherwise I make borscht.

I shall be making this over the next few days and shall post the recipe on my recipe blog when I do.