After the soup and phone call, I managed, with the help of telephone support from elder son, to put the laptop together.
After that, what do you do but power it up and get going. I changed the language to English (UK) and the clock to GMT, and set the time as well.
So then I decided to switch off.
I tried Start Shut down but it would not do that it just put it into Change User. I tried it twice but still the same. I don't like to switch it off at the wall or close the lid, so it is sitting there staring at me balefully
I had also tried to set up a wifi connection but that does not work.
Okay, back to the stone age, where I belong.
After that battle, I found I could not get up to stand again.
I found on investigation that the cushion I had used to give me a little extra height to make getting up to stand easier had slipped behind me onto the floor.
I became a bit desperate, but then hit on the fact that I was wearing my lovely thick jumper and tucked it under me.
It worked!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oops sorry about this. If you press and hold the power button, that will force the machine to switch off (with no shut down, which is a bit rough on the operating system and risks losing data - like the clock time you did). It may be configured to shut down if you press the power button once - most modern PCs will do this, which is often faster (and more intuitive) than going through the menus.
If you close the lid and it hibernates, when you open the lid again you will probably need to press the power button once lightly. Hibernation should usually mean that the power light blinks all the time.
Love
IT Support (ElderSon.plc)
Hi Mum
I wonder if, like my laptop which has Vista operating system, you need to go back on to your desktop to shut down. I'm at work & don't have your phone no or I'd phone you! Will phone this evening to see how you've got on.
Sitting on your jumper! Good thinking, Elaine. In both the Police and the Army, they used to refer to this sort of thinking as the 'Ways & Means Act'!
Elder Son beat me to it, but CTRL+ALT+DEL will also give you access to a menu where you can choose from Log off, Shut Down or Restart... hope this helps.
Regarding your jumper boost, I was going to say you think on your feet, but in this case I think it may actually be your bum! Hee hee!
Lateral thinking, I like it. (As you know.)
I might need to borrow your IT help next week. Thanks too for the award.
Post a Comment