This morning I had to set my alarm for 7.15. Now this has been rather early for me lately as medication I have been prescribed for pain tends to cause me to sleep in (a nice change after not sleeping for days on end before). I set it because 2 weeks ago, the organic veg box man arrived at 8.20 to find me up and showered but not dressed. Oh the shame of it! I was determined this week not to repeat that! So what happens? You've got it. There I was up, showered, hair dry, dressed bed made and all my favourite blogs read before he arrived!
A very interesting box this week; apart from the consistent potatoes, carrots and onions, I got a purple cabbage (looks delicious), 3 leeks, 2 lettuce - and a PUMPKIN! I'll have to look up some recipes for that as I have never had one before - not sure if it may perhaps be too big for one, in which case I shall pass it on to daughter. Don't say "soup" please - my freezer is 'stappit fu' (this means, in polite English, full to the brim).
Then I had a home delivery from Tesco, and once again problems. One item not available was organic beetroot bunch and they substituted organic beetroot dipped in malt vinegar (yuk - hate malt vinegar), so that went back; and a further 3 important items missing altogether, so I had to go to the nearest Asda to get them. This is becoming a real bore. I lose my temper with either Asda or Tesco on a regular basis, but there is no other supermarket within reasonable driving distance.
Anyway, then cooked tea and went to one of the other flats to help another resident get connected to the internet.
"No problems" thought I.
Well, she had a Tesco disc, so I loaded it but the internet connection failed - on examination, she did not have a modem from Tesco. So I uninstalled the dial-up Tesco connection.
Then found that she had previously had installed an internet connection with BTInternet. So, I set out to renew it for her.
Well, it took ages to proceed from one page to the next, and then on 2 occasions it threw her out back to the desktop. Then in the end it failed to continue at all.
I confess myself stumped.
Not sure if I did it wrong (don't think so) or if it is the fact that it is an old pc with Windows 98, or if it is the fact that it was previously installed correctly and she let it lapse for months at least.
As it says at the top : how are the mighty fallen!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Mum
While we live in hope of eventually getting computers that last longer than cars (my home town has a number of P reg's around - that's 1996-7 for non-UK readers) the components are not hardy. A lot of people are now still running their first computer, or a rescued work computer, 7 or 8 years after it came off the production line. A lot of people are going to wake up one day and find their PC doesn't. I expect hard drives to fail first - and when they go, they go. Most of us can't afford professional data recovery costs (my sermon is again 'backup, backup, backup'), but when a hard drive fails, its usually time to get a new PC.
So saying, our son is running my old PC, Windows 98, hard drive only replaced with an old one from work. But he does keep stealing my PC for the internet.
If it's your only computer and still running Windows 98, my advice is to buy a new one. Dell or Mesh will sell you one online for less than £400 - including a LCD monitor.
Thanks for that advice - I shall pass it on. I am still running Windows XP but am aware that that will reach the end of its useful life at some point. Your price probably did not includde any software such as MS Office, which can really add up if you are not a student.
There is always Open Office which my son, who is always buying the latest and greatest in technology, swears by. There is also Google "Docs and Spreadsheets" which I've never used either :)
Post a Comment