When I got tagged for the meme about books (see yesterday), I felt it was one of these things which should be done quickly, without reflection, in order to indicate the "real" me, rather than the "me" I would like to project, so for everything apart from Authors I will never read again, books I read as a child and 2 of the books I would take on a desert island, I just glanced along my bookshelves for the answer.
BUT…..oh dear, how much I left out!
First of all, it has been so long since I have read books in French that I should probably have included a french/english dictionary!
mikeg reminded me about some other books; I didn’t get into Tolkien until not that long ago as I kept getting stuck near the beginning, but I was told to read The Hobbit first. Following this, I thoroughly enjoyed and have re-read them both. Also in terms of science fiction, I still have Julian May’s Saga of the Exiles, which I pick up every so often and re-read all 7 books. Also, to my shame, I have every book in the Harry Potter series, in spite of disliking the hype around them intensely.
However, much enjoyed in the past were Isaac Azimov and Arthur C Clark plus so many others. Of particular note were the whole of the Dune series, although I didn’t enjoy the film.
I enjoy Conn Iggulden, Bernard Cornwell (starting with the Arthur trilogy and moving on from there, and, too, Mary Stewart’s Arthur and Merlin series.
How could I miss out classic authors like Walter Scott and Jane Austin (not Dickens though). I think they would have to be added to my extended desert island list. In fact that is why the ship sank – from the weight of all my books!
I think the overall pattern for my reading is that it is fairly eclectic, but that once I read a book and enjoy it I feel compelled to read every book that author wrote.
I bet I could come up with much more along these lines, but look forward to seeing other people's lists.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I so much agree about how many had to be left out. Tolkein, not for me. I read the Hobbit and part of the Lord of the Rings to my younger son and that was quite enough for me.
If you have a fancy for reading in French, I have a copy of Fred Vargas' Sans feu ni lieu going begging. It hasn't, I believe (but they *will* keep changing titles), been translated into English. It's not too difficult and I find the best technique is not to look up very much at all. It's much better to go with the flow otherwise it's just too much of a chore.
to a. how generous. I would love that, Email me and I will give you my address.
Post a Comment