Tuesday, 6 November 2007

The Fortnightly Organic Vegetable Box

Today’s vegetable box contained potatoes, carrots, onions, a cabbage, broccoli, 5 beetroot and 4 leeks; the fruit was 2 oranges, 2 apples, 1 pear and a banana; there was also the usual carton of 6 eggs.

I am not so far culinarily inspired re the vegetables (apart from using them as routine vegetables with a meal (now there's a novelty) I love cooked beetroot, none of that sliced in vinegar in a jar muck, but freshly cooked beetroot, and eat a whole one at a time.

As for the eggs, Dickiebo mentioned they might bind, but I have never found that problem (and I don't eat many at a time now.)

I am today making my potato salad as I am going "out" this evening, i.e. along to the Residents' Lounge for a slide show. This is being presented by a relative of one of the residents here and promises to be very interesting.

It is a beautiful day today, blue sky with a few fluffy clouds (now don't try and confuse me, I don't know their official name), and the tree directly opposite where I sit at the computer is a beautiful shade of orange, while neighbouring (also deciduous) trees are still green; the roses in my little border are still blooming and I can see them too from my window if I lean forward and to the right of my monitor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a Farmer's Market on Saturday.. You could get some lovely organic meat to go with that lovely organic veg. Like to go? S

cheekyfaces said...

You paint an idyllic picture.....and the vegatable box sounds lovely.

Elaine said...

To S.

YES, YES, YES, pretty please.

So sorry I missed you on Monday. Got back to the ranch about 4pm and had tea with the scrabble players.

SeaSpray said...

How was your slide show? I made a good homemade chicken soup yesterday. I filled it with vegetables -fresh and frozen. I think soups are so good for us because of all the vitamins and antioxidants. Smells good cooking too. I can rarely throw out a chicken or turkey carcass without first making soup and if I do...oh the guilt. :)