Yesterday I went to visit daughter. It was a beautiful day, quite mild with the sun shining and blue skies once again. I’m not complaining, but why could we not have had some weather like this during the summer? I particularly appreciated the weather as I had become convinced that daughter did a rain dance for every one of my visits!
The drive was through some lovely scenery with the trees in all their autumn glory. There was one hillside which came into view before me filled with wind mills. I know these wind farms have caused a lot of controversy, but I find them to be strangely beautiful,
With autumn, it would appear that the breeding season for the dreaded cones has come to an end. However the traffic lights continue to spring up, armed and dangerous, causing mayhem and chaos wherever they arise.
Of course, with the sunny weather comes the plague of tractors leading a stately “royal and ancient”* queue.
It was a grand visit, with lunch being served for the two of us, daughter’s partner and younger son home from school for his lunch break. It was an interesting recipe from a newspaper which she had never tried. She is an inventive cook, and I cannot remember enough to give you the recipe, although it was basically a chicken and mushroom noodle soup with leftover lamb substituted for the chicken. And very good it was too!
We both enjoyed the opportunity for a good chat as she did her ironing. My policy of ironing only handkerchiefs would not work for her with 3 men needing ironed clothes, 2 for school and the other for work.
* In my family a queue was a fairly short queue, and so on progressing to a royal and ancient one when it became very long.
You have to be very careful not to gloat when you drive past one coming in the other direction, as you can be sure that your turn is coming very soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My family's been keen on Thai food for some time, recently we found a noodle bar doing Malaysian, Indonesian and Japanese food too. Fantastic stuff. I never used to rate noodles, really. But of late we've been enthused!
To The Shrink
(boast, boast) I enjoyed Thai food, and some Malaysian and Indonesian too, while on holiday in Thailand. I like Malaysisan curries. Until yesterday, I had never tried noodles, put off by the ubiquitous Pot Noodle. You are lucky to have good restaurants round about.
Having said that, we have a noodle bar near by which I have heard is good, so hope to try it soon.
The packs of "Straight to Wok" noodles are sooooo easy to add in at the end of a stir-fry. Pot Noodles, though? Ugh! S.
To S.
Thanks for that. I Have never looked at noodles for cooking (what a boring cook I am!)
I would always suggest wheat flour or rice noodles over egg noodles. (The straight-to-wok noodles are wheatflour - I had them for the first time ever today because we were having dinner in a hurry). The rice and wheatflour noodles have a much nicer texture and seem to absorb whatever juices and sauces are around.
Ooo! I found a celeriac in the supermarket reduced to 40p and we had it mashed with (homemade) chicken pie last night. It was surprisingly yummy and TLM even found it acceptable! Looking forward to experimenting more with it in soups and casseroles. It's a bit like a swede to cook isn't it? I'll have to keep an eye out for it reduced because it's otherwise a bit pricey (out of season? But it being in your box suggests not)
Post a Comment