Wednesday, 21 November 2007

Hair cut and more

Today I went to get my hair cut and blow dried at fairly close large town. It has been a seriously driech day, and I accused the hairdresser of doing a rain dance in honour of my visit just like daughter. Did a quick (and disappointing) whiz into M&S where I bought only something for my tea.

On the way home I managed to take a wrong turn off the main road (and DON’T say “women drivers”!. There are three exits that I take, the first one nearly all the time, but I didn’t fancy that small road in this weather – there had been some rather larger patches of water on the way out. Seeing as I had thought of going to garden centre, I took third exit.

Ummm well it was not the third exit that I meant to take, the third one goes off in the opposite direction to the one that I wanted. It took quite a few miles to find a roundabout and retrace my footsteps.

So at least I found the garden centre, which hides its light a bit under the bushel, so again I went past, turned round and found it on the way back. Okay, I’ll let you off with “women drivers” this time.

I was on the lookout for a small Christmas tree as I can’t manage to put up the one I have had for a few years. I picked up a small decorated one, but half the point was that I wanted lights on it. Problem solved – I have bought a gold basket with candles (electric). This is small enough to sit on my table at the window without impeding my using it for eating at.

Yesterday’s vegetable box contained, potatoes, carrots, onions, 2 small turnips (swedes), 2 leeks, curly kale and a green cauliflower. I had enough potato left over to peel for my tea and also cooked the last 2 of the beetroot from last time.

Yesterday’s tea was macaroni cheese (a nice simple tea in case I got a call looking for a bridge partner, but no luck there) with potato and curly kale. I made a mistake in the identification of this vegetable last time, but this time I knew what to do (basically treat it like cabbage, but a slightly longer cook), I was told that it is best cooked and eaten soon or else it will turn bitter. It is a lovely dark green and so should be full of iron.

Additionally to this, S. has told me of a real find – a farm shop not far from here. It may not be all organic, but it is difficult to get organic meat produced locally, and this meat is produced and butchered locally. I reckon that if you can’t get organic it is next best thing to know the provenance of the meat. S. has promised to take me there the first time so that I shall know where to go. Update to follow….

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know where you were heading when you took off in the wrong direction.....hee hee. Your visit to the farm shop should take place next week once your organic veg has gone down a bit. I can testify to the quality of their beef, which made a lovely "stew" today. I think you may be a convert. S

missbliss said...

TLM didn't believe kale was a word when I used it in scrabble yesterday (ah, the young adventurous life we lead eh?). I found a set of instuctions on how to play bridge and I'm impressed anyone manages to play it! Or is it like Mornington Crescent where you all pretend to know what's going on? (Oops, I shouldn't have said that should I!)

Elaine said...

Ah missbliss, I don't think it would ever be possible to learn to play bridge from a set of instructions, but it doesn't take too long (evening class or similar)to learn enough to play. To learn to play well takes a lot longer.

When I was young (at least, not much older than you) I and a group of friends used to foregather once a week with a bottle of wine or so and play bridge. Did not learn much, but a good time was had by all!

As far as Scrabble goes, a knowledge of Scots words helps improve your points score!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine- potato and tea? is that like scones and tea but with a potato?

I used to get lost fairly often on my Lifeline job. I traveled in 3 counties but mostly in the busiest most congested one. I wasn't good at reading maps and I would take forever trying to locate the street in the map. Thank God for cell phones although my clients often didn't know how to give directions to them either. the police, post men and ups men were my best friends while doing that job. I very much related to your story. :)

Elaine said...

To snowlite

During my travels throughout Scotland and England for work I have learned to call the evening meal "dinner", "supper", and "tea". Most of the people here eat their main meal at lunchtime and refer to their evening meal as tea, so I have got into the habit of calling my evening meal "tea" too (even although in my case it is frequently accompanied with a glass of wine rather than a cup of tea. (Decadent or what?)

Anonymous said...

HaHa! I am laughing at myself because I naively envisioned a sliced potato on a plate next to your afternoon tea!

It must be healthier to eat the big meal in the middle of the day.