Yes, I thought black bun would raise some questions, and so I thought it was worthy of a new post.
It is a rich, moist fruit cake sandwiched between two thin layers of cold water pastry.
It is best served sliced and topped with sliced Cheddar cheese (a good quality cheddar is best).
(I have to confess that I have never made one, but there are some good bought ones to be had.)
Traditionally it is eaten at New Year, and it is rarely available in the shops until the festive season.
Normally I like my sherry bone dry (preferably a Manzanilla) but to go with this rich sweetness I would recommend a sweeter sherry, or of course a good malt whisky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I had tried black bun once, but on it's own and not with cheddar cheese or whisky. This might sound strange, but does the drink and cheese help as I found it rather rich and oversweet on it's own?
Alcohol is never mandatory!
Yes, I think the Cheddar does help to cut the sweetness.
I once tried to make Black Bun from a friend's recipe, but I could not get the pastry to stick round the rich fruit mixture, and I got so frustrated that it never got made. If anyone wishes to try it, I do have the recipe. (Otherwise buy Walkers if you can - if I'm allowed to advertise).
Sounds like something I'd try. Is cold water pastry just a pie pastry?
To Prairierunner, yes I think so, although it is usually a thin layer.
Had said Black Bun today with cheddar - thank you, it was delicious & was enjoyed by all!
Boys just left wt their Aunt & Uncle - off to their Dad's for Christmas. Feeling a bit sad :-(
Post a Comment