Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Linda's Meme

I was reading Linda's blog and saw this. I hate memes, but seeing she didn't ask, I have done it too.

1. Started your own blog
Yes, and here it is.

2. Slept under the stars
Only in a tent.

3. Played in a band
Never.

4. Visited Hawaii.
Not yet.

5. Watched a meteor shower
No.

6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
Mmmm, not really.

7. Been to Disneyland
Absolutely not.

8. Climbed a mountain
We,, ell, if you count Ben Nevis, yes

9. Held a praying mantis
Yeuch, no.

10. Sang a solo
No, I am too kind to inflice that on anyone, not even my worst enemy.

11. Bungee jumped
I feel terrified at the mere thought.

12. Visited Paris
Yes, more than once.

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
No.

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
Knitting?????

15. Adopted a child
No, 3 of my own though (love to you all)..

16. Had food poisoning
Nothing bad.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
Never been to New York.

18. Grown your own vegetables
Courgettes and tomatoes.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
Yes.

20. Slept on an overnight train
Yes, quite often.

21. Had a pillow fight
Only as a child!

22. Hitchhiked
No, I am a feardie.

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
Only if I could fool my mother, and that would have been well nigh impossible

24. Built a snow fort
No, Only once do I remember enough snow to have done that.

25. Held a lamb
No, but once gave an injection to a horse.

26. Gone skinny dipping
Never. Can you see a trend developing here that would show I am somewhat timorous?

27. Run a marathon
No.

28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
No, but been to visit and had a wine in St Mark’s Square while people watching, shopped, ate and bought a piece of Murano glass.

29. Seen a total eclipse
Yes At school we candled glass to allow us to stand on the “roof garden” and watch it.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
Yes, love to.

31. Hit a home run
Never.

32. Been on a cruise
Yes, went on a short cruise up the River Yangtse in China, and through the famous three gorges before the new dam was built, raising the river levels.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
Yes and walked under the falls from both Canada and the USA, and sailed on one of the many “Maids of the Mist”.

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
Yes, we are not a far flung family, but my grandfather’s sister emigrated to Canada (Peterboro, Ontario) and I have quite lost touch, sadly.

35. Seen an Amish community
No, never.

36. Taught yourself a new language
Learned French at school and on a six week school exchange to Paris – and kept it up a bit – does that count?

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
Mostly – but there is always something that I think I could do if I won a million pounds!

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
No

39. Gone rock climbing
No.

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
Yes.

41. Sung karaoke
No – see 10..

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
Never.

43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
What – old skinflint me!!

44. Visited Africa
Yes, but only just - on a day trip to Tangiers.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
Can’t remember.

46. Been transported in an ambulance
Yes, notably on my 60th birthday, when I ended the day on a ventilator!

47. Had your portrait painted
Never, in spite of importuning artists in Paris.

48. Gone deep sea fishing
Not sure if this counts fishing for mackerel from a boat off Weymouth!

49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
No.

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
Yes as a schoolgirl, when I noted that the Coca cola got dearer at every stage!

51. Gone SCUBA diving or snorkeling
Yes, loved scuba diving, even in cold Scottish waters.

52. Kissed in the rain
Not sure, but think so.

53. Played in the mud
What, and dirty my nice clean clothes….

54. Gone to a drive-in theater
Never.

55. Been in a movie
No.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China.
Yes, and even walked on it for a short distance. I reckoned that if you could see the great wall from space, you could also see the bus park, not to mention the souvenir sellers.

57. Started a business
No.

58. Taken a martial arts class
No.

59. Visited Russia
No, but would have liked to.

60. Served at a soup kitchen
No.

61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
No, but did sell Womens Rural Institute ones, does that count?

62. Gone whale watching
Sadly, no.

63. Got flowers for no reason
Yes, particularlylike getting freesias.

64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
No, they won’t take mine.

65. Gone sky diving
Does parascending count?.

66. Visited a Nazi concentration camp
No.

67. Bounced a check
So far, no – but I did forget to sign one.

68. Flown in a helicopter
Oh, I really want to – perhaps the family will treat me if I survive to 70!!!!!!

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
No, they have all gone.

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
No.

71. Eaten caviar
Out of my price range.

72. Pieced a quilt
No, my sewing skills are not that good.

73. Stood in Times Square
Never.

74. Toured the Everglades
No.

75. Been fired from a job
Amazingly enough, no.

76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
Yes.

77. Broken a bone
No, although had many x-rays for query fracture – as a child on holiday, this was an annual event.!

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
No.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
Never.

80. Published a book
No, just read plenty.

81. Visited the Vatican
No.

82. Bought a brand new car
Yes, back in my thirties and once again about 6 years ago.

83. Walked in Jerusalem
No.

84. Had your picture in the newspaper
Yes – you can view it a few posts ago.

85. Read the entire Bible
In spite of womanful efforts, never managed the whole Bible.

86. Visited the White House
No.

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
Not killed one, but skinned and gutted a hare and plucked a pheasant.

88. Had chickenpox.
No, I still bear the scar from the inocculation.

89. Saved someone’s life
No.

90. Sat on a jury
Was called, but rejected by the accused’s counsel, probably because I was a Health Visitor.

91. Met someone famous
No.

92. Joined a book club.
No, although my family and I operate a kind of lending library.
93. Lost a loved one
Yes.
94. Had a baby
Yes, three.

95. Seen the Alamo in person
No.

96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
No.

97. Been involved in a law suit
Not yet.

98. Owned a cell phone
Yes.

99. Been stung by a bee
I think so, but try to avoid them!

100. Read an entire book in one day
Oh, yes.
Okay people, your turns now!

5 comments:

Linda said...

It was nice to read your answers. Maybe someday you'll come and visit your relatives on this side of the pond:)

Sage said...

Wonderful humourous answers Elaine, might have to join you in completing this in the near future.

AFT said...

Jings, I'm knackered after reading that!

Marcheline said...

1. Ever completed a one-hundred-item meme


No.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, that was something of a marathon! Interesting questions.