Friday, 5 September 2008

Metro Hotel, Woking


This article with pictures is posted in dickiebo's blog. He has pictures, but I can't seem to manage to copy them over.

I feel the story deserves as wide an audience as possible, so I have copied the article here.

Corporal Tomos Stringer, aged 23, was injured in Afghanistan and sent home to recover. Whilst here, he decided to go to Woking to assist with the funeral of a colleague who was killed in action. He booked into the Metro Hotel, by telephone. On his arrival - in civilian clothes - he was asked to produce some means of identity. He produced his military ID Card. He was then told that the Metro Hotel policy was not to accept military personnel, and he was turned away! He ended up sleeping in his car - his arm in plaster.
The hotel is owned by American Amusements Ltd, in Woking. It’s director, Michael Appleton, lives nearby in a £2 million house, and declined to comment.

Cpl Stringer is now back in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, fighting for the likes of Appleton, the Metro Hotel employees who turned Cpl Stringer away, and US. He deserves better.
I urge all decent people to avoid going to The Hotel Metro, Woking.

I would be more than happy for anyone to copy this article into their blogs to spread it as widely as possible.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some things just make me sooo mad!

Elaine said...

Whatever one thinks of the rights or wrongs of this war (and my personal view is that Blair and Bush made a terrible mistake in starting it, particularly without having a clear exit strategy), I think that the hotel's treatment of one of our soldiers was a disgrace.

Sage said...

Too right, appalling behaviour and unacceptable given the danger these men face when serving in the forces.

I have added a link to my blog, which links back to both of you.

Marcheline said...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/09/05/hotel-says-sorry-after-soldier-refused-a-bed-91466-21679140/

Copy and paste the above URL to read an article detailing how the "hotel was forced to issue an apology". It's sickening. And of course they blamed the receptionist, and took no responsibility themselves.

Sickening.

Elaine said...

Thanks for that link Marcheline. At least the hotel might regret now having done this due quite a widespread condemnation in the press, by senior military and by MPs.