Wednesday, 12 March 2008

...and Irael once more

Day 9. Bike Ride Day 4. (continued)

At the car park, someone tries to phone me on my mobile to talk about a future wedding. I explain that I’m in Israel, and that I can’t hear anything above the noise of the tour buses, and ask him to call back on Monday. Most of our bikes are loaded onto the big van for transfer to Arad while we go up to see the fortress, although two keen guys and our tour guide take their bikes with them for continuing later.



We travel up by cable car to the summit of this imposing fortress. It is ancient, but Herod the Great built it into a magnificent palace, and later Jews used it to defy the might of the Roman Empire. The photograph shows the view towards one of Titus’ encampments during the three year siege that ended in the mass suicide of the inhabitants.
In the citadel synagogue I read Josephus’ account of the final speech to the Jewish resisters prior to their deaths.




Down the Roman siege ramp, we met our tour bus and boarded for the transfer to Arad, except for the intrepid three who were continuing by bike. The bus set off in the gloaming, and it was soon dark – we were glad not to have to cycle the steep road against the wind in the total darkness far from any settlement.
In Arad we settled in to the Bar Inn, a hotel chain which promised a swimming pool – closed the day we were there. Had a lovely shower and went out to find a local bar with some of the other cyclists.

As we returned to the hotel, the three who had cycled from Masada arrived, tired but triumphant. There were few lights with our party, so they had made do with one cycle lamp and my Hezekiah’s tunnel light. At the doorway I met a Hassidic Jew who questioned me closely about what I was doing in Israel and asked for my songbook. I never saw the songbook again – hope it did him some good!

After buffet dinner in the hotel and the usual orientation and prayers I stayed up for a while to share some whisky which had been brought with one of the cyclists. Soon, time for bed – I was sharing the room with Charlie, who kept thumping me in my sleep. Was my snoring that bad?

No comments: