On Thursday I had a piece of pork fillet stuffed with haggis, and put it in a non stick foil wrapping and left it to cook for 40 minutes at 180 degrees. Inspired by missbliss, I tried to make an onion gravy. The pork was delicious, but the gravy was foul. Misssbliss started with a roasting joint, but I didn’t have that so I fried a chopped onion in a knob of butter, then added a made up proprietary gravy powder to the recipe on the packet. The gravy was so strong and so salty that I couldn’t eat it, but the pork was delicious.
When I unwrapped the little parcel of meat (all wrapped separately) it had the name of a family butcher in the next county but not far from here.
While the pork was cooking I was preparing the vegetables: potatoes, with cauliflower and leek steaming over.
I find it somewhat amazing to discover at my time of life that you can cook leeks as vegetables, and not just in soups! This is all down to the wonderful new steamer which fits in place of the pot lid on top of the pot and the pot lid goes on top of the steamer.
Today I had rib eye steak fried at same time as the potatoes also with cauliflower and leek.
To change the subject, I know I reported that I had upped my walk to half a mile from quarter of a mile, but then I found that hard to sustain. I think instead of pushing myself I should do as much as I comfortably can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I would never have thought of combining haggis and pork fillet, but I bet it was delicious. Shame about the gravy.
Post a Comment