Friday, 28 March 2008

Making A Spectacle Of Myself

On Tuesday I got a card in the post telling me my new spectacles were ready.

So Wednesday morning I headed to collect them. On my way from the car park through M&S, I just happened to pick up a couple of items of clothing – funny, that.

While looking at trousers (pants) off its hanger and tucked my thumbs inside the waistband and pulled to see how much stretch there was.

A lady of much my years and girth was passing and turned to me with a sympathetic grin.

Every picture tells a story

Then when I got to the spectacle shop to collect my pair of varifocals and reading glasses, which I got as a buy one get one free offer, I asked about having my driving glasses tinted (as I experience glare). “No problem”, even though it was perfectly obvious from the case that I had bought them from a rival firm. So I chose the level of tint I wanted (half way between two samples).

She said it would take about an hour.

So I went to big chemist, book shop (long browse but bought nothing), to Body Shop and on to M&S for a cup of tea and a cheese scone.

So an hour’s wait cost about £41!.

How can that be?

Back home felt as though I had been put through a wringer, what with a lot of walking and carrying heavy shopping.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

There was a print problem in a previous version of this post. The only way to fix it was to copy it into Word, delete it and copy from Word as a new post.

The lengths I go to to keep my audience happy.

Mind you, the large font was soore on the eyes.

Littleacornman said...

I thought you were trying to show us how the world looks through your new specs!

Elaine said...

:-)